Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dusting off the Sewing Machine: The Socialite Dress


My sewing machine was missing me. I finally got off my busy crocheting behind and created a perfect marriage with Anna Maria Horner's Socialite Dress pattern and Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow fabric. It only took me two weeks to make, but I finally finished it yesterday and am already wearing it!

I love the versatility of this dress, which I actually made into a tunic since I'll never wear this without pants... haha. I haven't made the fabric belt to go with it yet, but I have a good collection of vintage skinny belts that match beautifully! And for colder weather is GREAT under a cardigan. I had a rough time with the arm hole facing, the written instructions aren't the clearest for a beginner, but now that I know what I'm doing I'll be sure to make more and adjust bits and pieces to fit me better.

I added a piece at the bottom because I cut it too short, the pockets would have stuck out the bottom, but I actually like it this way!

I'm motivated to sew now... we'll see what else I can put together!

No comments: